|Chettinad Mutton Masala|
The term when it comes for masala powder it naturally contains cinnamon,clove so and so..... When we see what is the special ingredient of a chettinad masala powders are they use more of Fennel seeds (Sombu/ Saunf) and coriander seeds. Getting bored always with traditional style of mutton curry in the weekends..... so I wanted to change out my recipe in gravy form.From long time I had a thought of preparing mutton curry in chettinad style and this gravy/curry goes well with Rice and Parathas.
|Whole Spices for masala|
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 cup
Pepper -2 tsp
Fennel seed - 3 tsp
Dry red chilli -7-8
Clove - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 2 big sticks
Cardamom - 2
Star Anise - 1
1. Set aside all your ingredients measured.
2. Dry roast all the ingredients in a kadai.
3. Allow it to cool down and transfer to a mixer jar.
4. Grind it to a fine powder.
5. Transfer to an air tight container.
|Aromatic Chettinad Masala|
- I did not keep cardamon when arranging the ingredient for a click. Kindly add.
- I added two varieties of chilli (One for spice and other for color/flavor)
- This gives a vibrant color to the masala powder.
- Roast the ingredients in low flame to avoid burning.
- You can also roast each ingredient separately if you prefer.
- You can use this recipe for making vegetable gravies also in chettinad style.
- My next post is surely the Mutton curry prepared using the masala powder.