|Fish Curry without coconut|
Kerala......The Land of Spices !!! Yes, like the name each kitchen is filled different aroma of fish curry which is my all time favorite. This recipe of making fish curry in Kerala style is without adding coconut,where in I got the recipe from one of my friend. The reason why I try out different form of fish curry is, I do not want to feed fried fish for my son . So I keep trying out different recipes of fish curry,where in after long time got a good one to share with :)
Fish - 1/2 Kg (any kind of Fish variety)
Onion - 2
Tomato - 1
Tamarind water - extracted from Lemon size ball
Green chilli - 2
Coriander leaves - few
Water - 2 to 3 cups.
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt as required
Dr red chilli -
Coriander seeds or Dhania - 3 tsp
Cumin seeds/Jeera- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 5
1. After cleaning the fish wash well using crystal salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry finely chopped onions.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and grind-ed paste and fry for about 3 -4 minutes in low flame.
4. Add tamarind water and also additional two cups of water and bring it to boil.
5. Boil until raw smell goes off.
6. At this stage add the salt, cleaned fish pieces and slit green chilli.
7. When the fish is completely cooked well garnish with chopped coriander leaves and a tsp of coconut oil.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl.
|Kerala Fish curry|
- Clean the fish well as many times you can.
- Using coconut oil for frying and adding a tsp at the end adds taste to the curry. You can also use gingelly oil for frying.
- It is said to put off the flame after adding fish. I don't prefer so cook for about 10 minutes after adding fish.
- After adding fish cook in low flame.
- Prefer always to use crystal salt in your cooking
- The curry goes well with Pulao, Rice, Briyani.